Listening to a ministry colleague’s report of a recent visit with SBC missionaries in Europe — and especially the description of their careful and purposeful efforts to share the Gospel with people in their area — I was struck by just how similar it all was to the evangelism efforts of campus ministers on Alabama’s college and university campuses.
- The missionaries were dealing with a unique culture, language and people group.
- They were careful to acknowledge a person’s faith history and attitude toward religion and the church.
- They worked hard at slowly, steadily building relationships that could/would result in Gospel conversations and decisions for Christ.
- They made sure that avenues of communication stayed open and honest.
- They were faithful and kept on working in spite of some pretty “hard and rocky soil.”
Fall semester on college campuses presents a fantastic opportunity for Baptist campus ministers and BCM students to have that same kind of intentional effort to share the Gospel and reach students through ENGAGE24. ENGAGE24 here in Alabama is a 24-day (October 1-24) period focused on praying for and nurturing relationships that will culminate in campus ministers and students sharing the Gospel. Nationally ENGAGE24 is set for Thursday, October 15 — one 24-hour period to boldly share Christ!
Recently, SBC President Ronnie Floyd has encouraged pastors and churches across the convention to join this national student effort. Please pray with me that the name of Jesus would be lifted up and students would come to know Him on one of Alabama’s largest and most critical mission fields—our college and university campuses.